Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Landon Pooped!

That's what the nurses were all excited about when we arrived at the hospital, this evening. Landon had a messy diaper. This is a very good thing. It means that his lower intestine is working. His first messy diaper was about 3pm and the second was about 8pm. He will not have messy diapers like other babies because he is not eating anything, but he will have bowel movements.

Jeremiah and Shelly went home this evening. Jeremiah is exhausted and tomorrow is Roger's sixteenth birthday. Kathy and I are staying here tonight. We had a very good visit with Landon. Everything is still looking good. He may get to go home even sooner than we thought.

I wanted to sit in on the rounds this evening but I did not get here in time. I did speak with one of the doctors. My concern is about the megaven that we need to obtain to replace the TPN. We have to get approval from the FDA to use it and we haven't gotten it yet. They are going to bring it up at rounds tomorrow morning and hopefully we can find out something. I am going to keep pushing for the megaven. The TPN is being used to feed Landon intravenously now and will damage his liver. The megaven does not do as much damage but is not approved for use in the US. We have to get special permission from the FDA as soon as possible.

I spoke with a Dr. Jaksic from Boston today. He is the pediatric surgeon that does the transplant surgery. We were hoping to have another conference call this evening but couldn't get everybody together. We are going to try again tomorrow. We need to know where to go from here.

EJ

2 comments:

sharon said...

Yeah!!! What great news! Is there any update from the heart stuff he had going on? Glad to see the proud grandparents holding the baby. Please let Roger know we said Happy Birthday!!!
Lance and Sharon Williams

Amy said...

Yea!!!!!!!!! I am so excited that he had a bowel movement, that is excellent. I just wanted to leave my email address here for anyone that had questions!!! If you dont know who I am My name is Amy...My child was born with short gut syndrome lived on TPN for the first 2 years of his life, at the age of 2 he recieved a small bowel and liver transplant.....He is now 7 and doing very well!!! So if anyone has questions feel free to email me I would love to help answer anything I can!!!!!!!!